On Mit, 2010-05-05 at 11:12 +1000, Dave Airlie wrote:

> So at startup X drivers genearlly seem to ask for a list of connectors
> and status for them, and if it can't find any connected, it goes to
> unknown, and if none of those they fall over and X exits. Idea 1 was
> to just pick a connector and claim it is connected when nothing else
> is, however this falls over, for DVI esp on a dual-DVI card. You pick
> a DVI connector, claim it is connected, you most likely end up turning
> on the analog portion of it, you hotplug a digital connector and the
> uevent gets sent, the client app repolls the connector status, sees
> the connector is still connected so doesn't do anything. Forcing a
> disconnect/connect is incredibly racy and hard. So Ben Skeggs
> suggested we just fake a disconnected connector for this case. It
> looks a bit messy in xrandr, but from what I can see the gnome client
> ignores it as it should.
>
> Anyways any other ideas on how this might be tackled or improvements
> that could be made?

If I understand correctly, this tries to address userspace issues (X
refusing to start up with nothing connected, GNOME doing nothing when an
output changes from unknown to connected) by making the kernel fake
information. Wouldn't it be better to address these in userspace?
Otherwise if more similar issues turn up, we might end up in a twisty
maze of fake information, possibly with conflicting requirements.