On Mon, Mar 03, 2014 at 11:01:14AM -0600, Ken Cox wrote:
> This series includes a base set of drivers for the Unisys s-Par system.
> This set of drivers is enough to get a virtual guest up and running on s-Par
> hardware.  The remaining drivers needed to have a fully functional system
> will be submitted after review of this initial set.
>
> s-Par is firmware that provides hardware partitioning capabilities for
> splitting large-scale Intel x86 servers into multiple isolated
> partitions. s-Par provides a set of para-virtualized device drivers to
> allow guest partitions on the same server to share devices that  would
> normally be unsharable; specifically, PCI network interfaces and host
> bus adapters that do not support shared access via SR-IOV. The shared
> device is owned and managed by a small, single-purpose service
> partition, which communicates with each guest partition sharing that
> device through an area of shared memory called a channel. Additional
> drivers provide support interfaces for communicating with s-Par
> services, logging and diagnostics, and accessing the Linux console
> from the s-Par user interface.
>
> The driver stack consists of a set of support modules, a set of bus
> modules, and a set of device driver modules. The support modules
> handle a number of common functions across each of the other
> drivers. The bus modules provide organization for the device driver
> modules, which provide the shared device functionality.
>
> These drivers are for the Unisys virtual PCI hardware model where the
> hypervisor need not intervene (other than normal interrupt handling)
> in the interactions between the client drivers and the virtual adapter
> firmware in the adapter service partition.

Why do you want these in the drivers/staging/ part of the kernel?  I
have my guesses, but you need to tell me why :)

Also, I need a TODO file, like the rest of the staging drivers have,
listing what needs to be done to get the code out of staging, and who is
responsible for the code.  Ideally, a MAINTAINERS entry as well, so that
the same people get copied when people use scripts/get_maintainer.pl on
patches.

thanks,

greg k-h