Hi,

This is a new area for me ( but exciting! ).

I'm experimenting with using drools for filtering datasets.

In my case so far, I have basically 4 rules with varying parameters.

One of the rules looks something like this:

loop over a collection of beans
 - for each bean check it against the conditions.

The conditions are name/value pairs with an operation ( >, <, =, etc...)
Each name may have several values that are ORed together.

So for example: return true IF name=1 OR 2 OR 3 ... etc.

Also, each rule may have more than one name/value pair.
And if the number of name/value pairs > 1 then AND them together

Example:

   nameX=1 OR 2 OR 3
     AND
   nameY= A OR B OR etc...

Since the variable data is coming from a database and I've narrowed it down
to 4 rules, I figured that the best approach would be to program (using the
spi ) the rules rather than XML.

Can anyone give me a pointer or suggestion on how I can express the above
using drools, especially the operators?

Also, IS there an advantage to using drools in this case vs. a home grown
system? I initially started down the latter route, but it seems that the
further I went I was just re-inventing the wheel ( and doing quite poorly! )

I would really appreciated any help.

Thanks!
Dave