Greetings DSpace Users,

Whats New?

There are a lot of improvements added to our upcoming version of DSpace
(1.7) like new themes, a discovery layer, most used items, AIP Backup and
Restore, curation tools, numerous bug fixes, changes to documentation and
more that we’d like to tell you about, however the next version won’t be
ready until mid-December. Until then, what you can do to help is to test
what has been worked on, and provide useful feedback. Simple as that. We
typically call this Test-A-Thon, and it starts next week on November 8,
2010, and lasting the whole week. So please reserve some time in your
schedule to give us a hand by giving us useful feedback.

During Test-A-Thon, you can visit our demo site: demo.dspace.org and check
out that everything that has worked in the past still works, all of the new
features that have been added don’t have any hidden surprises, and that no
new problems have been created. If you find something that we should know
about, there will be a Give Us Feedback button built into the testing site.
Leaving feedback is simple and will be our best way to know what needs to be
improved.  The developers will then try to fix things that have been
reported, so that when we finally release 1.7.0 it is tested, stable, and
ready for you to install or upgrade to.

We will also send out another announcement when Test-A-Thon starts with more
in-depth information such as how to chat with the developers in the IRC
(chat room), and more locations that will be hosting a testing instance. You
will of course be able to download and install a copy on your own system to
test. We will be keeping the existing DSpace 1.6.2 demo.dspace.org site’s
data in place, so the existing logins will still work.

Read our 1.7 release notes wiki:
https://wiki.duraspace.org/display/DSPACE/DSpace+Release+1.7.0+Notes

Additionally, we have a testimonial that was shared with us regarding last
year’s Test-A-Thon for DSpace 1.6. that will hopefully encourage you to give
a hand during Test-A-Thon 1.7

Testimonial – 1.6 Testathon – Call for Repository Manager Involvement.
Hey there Repository Managers, if you want to contribute to the DSpace
Community effort…… a great way is to volunteer to test a new software
release.
I participated in the 1.6 Bug Hunt, I didn’t find any bugs but it was really
nice to be able to get an advance preview on some of the new features in the
software.
This is what you need to do:

   1. Set aside a few hours
   2. Have your test cases setup, (we all have our area of expertise to
   contribute to)
   3. Document what you did
   4. Leave feedback if you run across any bugs, if you have queries or just
   want to comment, let one of the team know

Its really easy!

Leonie Hayes
The University of Auckland Library, NZ

--