All,

The Committers would like to formally announce that the much anticipated
DSpace 1.7.0 will be released on Friday, December 17, 2010.

The recent DSpace 1.7.0 Testathon has been a success. It has helped us to
locate several issues/bugs that we are working to resolve before the 1.7.0
Final Release. We'd like to thank everyone who has taken part in testing and
reporting of issues.

As a reminder, this new release will bring several new major features, along
with numerous bug fixes and performance improvements.

Major new features/improvements include:
* A new XMLUI Theme named Mirage (contributed by @mire), which you can see
in action at http://demo.dspace.org/xmlui/
* The DSpace "Discover" module, which allows you to add faceted
browsing/searching to XMLUI (contributed by @mire), also in action at
http://demo.dspace.org/xmlui/
* A new Archival Information Package (AIP) Backup & Restore process
* A new Curation Administration User Interface -- which will allow for a
series of Curation tasks to be performed on objects in DSpace.
* PowerPoint text extraction, for searching within PowerPoint slides
* Improved Google Scholar Indexing -- We've been working directly with
Google Scholar developers to ensure your DSpace contents are findable in
Google Scholar.
* Improved performance and scalability of DSpace (thanks to Graham Triggs
for leading the effort to plug up memory leaks and fix other performance
issues)
* Automated Unit Testing of core code -- helps the developers ensure the
core code of DSpace is as bug free and stable as possible

In the meantime, you are welcome to try out the early release of DSpace
1.7.0 on http://demo.dspace.org/ and continue to provide any early feedback
you may have. If you'd like to install a test version on your own server,
early releases of DSpace 1.7.0 are also available to download on
SourceForge: http://sourceforge.net/projects/dspace/files/

More information on this release is also available in the DSpace 1.7.0
Release Notes at:
https://wiki.duraspace.org/display/DSPACE/DSpace+Release+1.7.0+Notes

We hope that you are as excited as we are about the upcoming release of
DSpace 1.7.0.  Have a happy holiday season!

Peter Dietz (1.7.0 Release Coordinator) and the DSpace Committers