Hi Jeff,

I'm not aware of the ehcache file getting stale, usually a tomcat restart
will cure what ails us. But its probably fine to clean it out regularly.
(Note, I'm not the expert on this). However, I am a de-facto expert at
running into xmlui weirdness with cache.

The overall solution might be to have more investigating into each component
that gets cached, to make sure that it is properly setting its cacheable
elements, and invalidating them when the situation changes.

Regarding webapp locations, I prefer to keep all my dspace webapps where ant
puts them: [dspace]/webapps. Then I edit tomcat's server.xml to add context
listeners for all of DSpace's webapps.
https://wiki.duraspace.org/display/DSPACE/Installing+DSpace+1.7+on+Ubuntu+10.10#InstallingDSpace1.7onUbuntu10.10-ConfigureTomcattoknowabouttheDSpacewebapps.

Peter Dietz