I don't know if we want this thread to turn into a show and tell, but our
stack is:

PROD
- vm for Apache
- vm for Tomcat (DSpace)
- vm for Postgres
- vm for Elastic Search

And then repeat that two more times, with a complete replica of the stack
for Staging, and for Development. Development is actually done on my laptop
though. The total for us is 12 vm's. But its shared among our IT/App
groups, and other things use the prod/staging/dev apache, postgres, and
elasticsearch. When we run into growing pains, our first response is to
just scale vertically, and add more memory and another CPU, and that
usually suffices for us.

Elastic Search supports clustering natively, we haven't looked into
Postgres replication/pooling yet, and for Apache we are considering things
like HA-Proxy, but for now we suffice. I haven't looked into such things as
a load balanced DSpace/tomcat. I'm not sure I understand all of the
requirements of that, regarding data, and sessions.

If you've got a light-weight use case, then a spare Dell box under
someone's desk has worked for us in the past, atleast to spin up a
dedicated dev-box for someone.

Peter Dietz