Sorry to bump an old thread.

XMLUI and JSPUI are quite solid and both provide a complete package as a
repository interface, they don't maintain parity and don't have to, but
there are interested parties that make the needed investments in each, that
I don't see either dissolving in the short term.

DSpace today presents a lot of work to build yet-another-user-interface. I
think that with the current REST-API this has changed for the frontend
end-user browsing experience. There are a few experiments of client apps to
the API, and this is where the future of DSpace becomes a bit more
interesting. If 99% percent of your traffic is the anonymous end-user, then
why not build an application well suited for delivering an experience that
delights visitors, and helps expose your content. (API provides read access
to public communities, collections, items, and bitstreams)

Ruby on Rails client app:
http://dspace-rails.herokuapp.com/item/59996

Java Play! client app:
http://dspace-rest-client-play.herokuapp.com/item/59996

For the remaining 1% of users, your administrators, editors, submitters, I
haven't yet begun work on functionality in the REST-API to support any of
their needs, so my first thought would be to leverage one of the existing
user interfaces, and just hand the user back to (jsp|xml)ui for the
advanced features.

This route certainly seems a bit too cutting edge for a casual repository,
but once more groundwork has been laid in the API, building a complete UI
might not be such a chore.

Long response to your question, but I would say there are contributors to
both xmlui and jspui, that I see both ui's sticking around for the next few
releases. Even once REST-API of the future emerges, jspui and xmlui could
be refactored to use/send all data through the rest API.