I was handed a Word document for use as a deposit license.  Of course
that doesn't work, but what does?  I carefully extracted and
re-formatted the content as plain text, and it was nearly destroyed by
the UI.

It turns out that the license text is neither one thing nor another.
It seems to be provided by machine-machine interfaces that would make
HTML problematic.  But XMLUI treats it as a "simple HTML fragment",
which gets it rendered as ordinary character data (meaning that my
nice spacing and multilevel bullet lists get squashed).

What should we do with this thing?  If it has to be plain text, then
XMLUI should treat it as <pre> so it doesn't get
rewrapped/filled/generally blenderized.  Or should it *really* be an
HTML fragment in which we can use markup appropriate to the interior
of the <body> element?  Something else?

--
Mark H. Wood
Lead Technology Analyst