InstallItem.installItem registers identifiers and *then* calls
populateMetadata.  This means that IdentifierProviders can't depend on
the values of dc.date.accessioned and dc.date.available when
crosswalking to generate metadata for an identifier submission.

This kind of makes sense at the moment, because an exception thrown by
IdentifierService is treated as fatal to the installItem operation.

Is there some reason why we should not just note such an exception and
go on?  Is there some reason why we should not place the identifier
registration after populateMetadata, or even after finishItem?

--
Mark H. Wood
Lead Technology Analyst

University Library