Hi Robin,

I am working to disentangle configuration from Maven & Ant builds in the Commons Configuration work (aimed for 6.0). Once we switch to Commons Configuration, we should be able to simply remove all our custom config variable interpolation "magic" that Maven & Ant does. Commons Configuration does interpolation on-the-fly, which means Maven and Ant should no longer need to touch any of our configs (thought Ant will still need a dspace.dir to install to obviously).

See https://github.com/DSpace/DSpace/pull/991 and https://jira.duraspace.org/browse/DS-2654 for a bit more info.

- Tim

On 8/17/2015 5:07 AM, TAYLOR Robin wrote:

Hi Terry,

That's really useful, thanks. The main problem for me is that configuration is so entwined with both the Maven build and the Ant installation, it makes it difficult to find a process that avoids having to do a Maven build on a live server, and hack various bits of configuration specific to that server. Sigh 😊

Cheers, Robin.

Robin Taylor
Main Library
University of Edinburgh

*From:* Terry Brady <terry.br...@georgetown.edu>
*Sent:* 14 August 2015 23:40
*To:* TAYLOR Robin
*Cc:* DSpace Developers
*Subject:* Re: [Dspace-devel] DSpace deployment methods
Robin,

I have been happy with the process that has evolved for us over time.

Since our repository code is private, we have cloned our github repository on our server using an access token.

We have a build folder on each of our servers. That folder contains a script that runs the following steps.

git fetch origin
git checkout ${BRANCH} -f
git pull
mvn clean package
cd dspace/target/dspace-build
ant update
#insert domain specific passwords/overrides into config files using sed
#restart webserver

When "build.properties" was first introduced, it did not allow us to override what we needed to override. I have not revisited that file to see if it could further simplify our build process.