Dear DuraSpace Community,

DuraSpace has been accepted as a participant in this year's Google
Summer of Code (GSoC) student internship program
(http://socghop.appspot.com/)!

Our community has participated in GSoC for the last four years
(2007-2010), completing a total of 16 successful student projects over
the years. During the last four years, only DSpace software has taken
part. This year, we hope to have GSoC projects for all three DuraSpace
technologies: DSpace, Fedora and DuraCloud!

== Call for DuraSpace Project Ideas & Mentors ==

The purpose of DuraSpace's participation in GSoC is to:
(1) promote involvement of new students as open source developers within
the DuraSpace Community,
(2) provide opportunities for existing community members to lead within
the community as mentors, and
(3) make some exciting improvements to DuraSpace technologies along the way.

We would like to encourage all community members, potential mentors and
students to post their ideas for GSoC 2011 projects on our wiki. We have
separate "Project Ideas pages" listed for each DuraSpace technology:

* DSpace Ideas:
https://wiki.duraspace.org/display/GSOC/DSpace+Summer+of+Code
* Fedora Ideas:
https://wiki.duraspace.org/display/GSOC/Fedora+Summer+of+Code+Ideas
* DuraCloud Ideas:
https://wiki.duraspace.org/display/GSOC/DuraCloud+Summer+of+Code+Ideas

Project ideas which span multiple technologies (e.g. DSpace & Fedora, or
Fedora & DuraCloud) may be listed on either Ideas Page above or
cross-listed.

We need to get as many ideas posted by MONDAY, MARCH 28TH, as this is
when the application period begins for students (student applications
are accepted until Fri, April 8, 19:00 UTC).

If you would like to be a mentor (or co-mentor) on the project(s) you
proposed, please add your name to the 'Mentor Volunteer(s)' column next
to the project information.

To be a GSoC Mentor, you should be an active developer in the community
and keenly interested in leading a student through a software
development project. It is not required that you be a Committer, but it
is recommended that you try to find a Committer who is willing to
"sponsor" or "co-mentor" the project. As necessary, we can help you to
find a Committer to work with.

The final list of mentors will be selected based on whether we have
students interested in your project. If we end up with more mentors than
students, you are also welcome to join up and co-mentor a different
student project.

For more information about DuraSpace GSoC, please see our DuraSpace
Summer of Code page: https://wiki.duraspace.org/display/GSOC/

INTERESTED STUDENTS: Don't worry, we haven't forgotten you! You are also
welcome to suggest projects and take part in this early discussion
period. As we get closer to the student application period, we'll send
out more information about our GSoC application process this year. Until
then, feel free to check out early GSoC details at:
https://wiki.duraspace.org/display/GSOC/

Get excited and join in the fun!