On Tue, May 21, 2013 at 09:09:26AM -0400, Ann Devenish wrote:
> The MBLWHOI Library is recommending to the Woods Hole research community
> that they acquire and begin using ORCID IDs.  And one of the projects
> based in Woods Hole is making plans to use ORCID IDs in its database.
> This project loads content into our IR, WHOAS (Woods Hole Open Access
> Server) via SWORD.
>
> In that we expect ORCID IDs to be coming into WHOAS along with the
> author names via a METS package, we are interested in knowing which DC
> field you recommend the information be mapped to.

I don't think that DC defines anything like ORCID IDs, does it?  We
need a new (to DSpace, at least) namespace to represent new types.

Sorry to pounce on this with so little real information.  I'm not a
metadata person, but I do understand that DSpace instances often
seriously bend DC, which is not open-ended.  There is a proposal right
now to make DSpace's DC namespace immutable and clean it up, since
it's based on standards that DSpace doesn't own.  I think it would be
best not to try to cram this into DC.

If this had landed in my lap, I would (a) ask if there is already a
DSpace-compatible namespace (not DC) which does or should define
ORCID/ISNI ID, and if not, (b) define it in a local namespace
(creating one if need be).  It's easy to add or create metadata
namespaces in DSpace, so long as they are shaped like DC: {element [,
qualifier]}.

--
Mark H. Wood, Lead System Programmer   mw...@iupui.edu
Machines should not be friendly.  Machines should be obedient.