We are getting ready to setup a symplectic instance with a dedicated dspace
repository instance.

In the public facing repository UI we want to show a list of collections
representing departments/groups each containing articles of affiliated faculty.
We expect that metadata about an articles affiliation to departments will be
somehow available. Of cause there will  be special cases like articles jointly
published  by  several faculty members from different departments. We’ll have
to work out what to do about authors who are appointed at multiple departments.

As per documentation Symplectic pushes all discovered articles into the
workflow of a dedicated collection. Thus the main issue is to figure out how to
shepherd articles from this one collection into the desired department
collection(s). Preferable we want to automate this. Reading through the DSpace
documentation I discovered AbstractProcessingStep.  Implementing a specialized
step that reassigns the destination collection might be a possible route.
Alternatively a dedicated curation task could look through submitted items and
reassign them. Any other better options ?

I’d like to hear what other institutions do ? Any tips, tricks code, pit falls
to avoid ?

Thanks

Monika

Monika Mevenkamp
Digital Repository Infrastructure Developer
Princeton University
Phone: 609-258-4161
Skype: mo-meven