Thanks Andrea!  By 'user error', I meant me ;)

Yes, I see the email address is being generated here, but recordStart is
only called in the case where there is a workflow, correct?

In XmlWorkflowItem.start() we have:

if(firstStep == null) {
  archive(context,wfi);  // which calls InstallItem.installItem() where the
'Made available' provenance is generated.
}
else {
  activateFirstStep(context,wf,firstStep,wfi);
    // which calls activateFirstStep which calls recordStart() where the
'Submitted by' provenance is generated.
}

What I see happening, is that when there is one (or more) workflow steps
for a collection, these records include the 'Submitted by' provenance
value, but when records are submitted without a workflow, only the 'Made
available' value is added...

Bill