Hi Tiago,

On 02/06/16 04:51, Tiago Delboni wrote:
I'm having a hard time understanding and configuring DSpace's search. I have a lot of questions, please help me out. We're on DSpace 5.x using default Solr/Discovery search.

In case you haven't found it, the appropriate documentation is at https://wiki.duraspace.org/display/DSDOC5x/Discovery#Discovery-ModifyingtheDiscoveryUserInterface%28config/spring/api/discovery.xml%29

When you say to "make dc.description.provenance searchable", it means to create a "search.index.n" config? We already have this one:

search.index.17 = descriptions:dc.description.*

However, I can't search on "dc.description.provenance" using the searchbox with queries like "Submitted by Valquiria Rosa" or "Approved for entry into archive by Eliana Cunha".

Is this configuration effective only for Legacy Lucene/DB search or "search.index.n" also defines searchable metadata for Solr/Discovery?

The search.index settings are not used by Discovery.

We also have this settings regarding provenance:

dspace.cfg
metadata.hide.dc.description.provenance = true

I believe this setting now only controls the item page behaviour, though it may also be used elsewhere (eg OAI).

discovery.xml
<bean id="org.dspace.discovery.configuration.DiscoveryConfigurationService" class="org.dspace.discovery.configuration.DiscoveryConfigurationService">
<property name="toIgnoreMetadataFields">
    <map>
    <entry>
        <key><util:constant static-field="org.dspace.core.Constants.ITEM"/></key>
        <list>
        <value>dc.description.provenance</value>
        </list>
    </entry>
    </map>
</property>
</bean>

This setting causes the search behaviour you're seeing -- it makes dc.description.provenance not indexed in solr and hence not searchable via Discovery.

To make a custom field searchable, you don't have to do anything -- it will be searchable by default. You only need to add a new search filter (as described in the documentation linked above) if you want to be able to search specifically in that field via the "advanced filters" functionality.

cheers,
Andrea

--
Dr Andrea Schweer
Lead Software Developer, ITS Information Systems