Hi Keith,

I do that in the past, if I remember correctly you just need a small
customization to the org.dspace.authenticate.PasswordAuthentication

change the loginPageURL and the loginPageTitle methods to return null, in such
way it will be not shown to the user as an authentication option but will be
available as provider to authenticate the credential collected with basic auth
for rest/sword.

To keep things more clean you should rename the class and put it in the
additions module. Remember to change the authentication.cfg file accordly.

Hope this help,

Andrea