"Normal" infrastructure issues aside—disk, RAM, CPU, etc—I'd say that
the handle server would be the "Y2K" type issue to be concerned about.
I don't think anyone definitively knows the limit of the handle
server. In May last year I asked about this:

https://groups.google.com/d/msg/dspace-tech/3iPnsHbhCf8/M07NqUoEBwAJ

Regards,

On Thu, Sep 29, 2016 at 3:39 AM, Bruno Nocera Zanette
<brunonzane...@gmail.com> wrote:
> That is a LOT of items! How many requests per day/hour/... do you expect to
> have? Is it in the same proportion of items?
>
> I believe that the real problem is the quantity of requests, once the items
> will only be another row into the database. But to query over them will be a
> real challenge for Dspace!! Specially because it's not build to be
> distributed on the cloud.
>
> Keep us up to date with this, plz!
>
> Em qua, 28 de set de 2016 às 13:04, Terry Brady <terry.br...@georgetown.edu>
> escreveu:
>>
>> I believe that 20 million items would be a record for a DSpace repository.
>>
>> At Georgetown, we have more than 500,000 items.  A majority of these items
>> contain only metadata which may have simplified the issue for us.  We have
>> found DSpace to scale very nicely so far.
>>
>> I believe that the University of Cincinnati also has a very large DSpace
>> instance.
>>
>> You may want to cross-post this question to the dspace-general list to
>> reach a wider audience.
>>
>> Terry
>>
>> On Tue, Sep 27, 2016 at 11:14 PM, Thomas Adeyinka <bigbrov...@gmail.com>
>> wrote:
>>>
>>> Hi guys. I looking to setup a repository which will contain close to 20
>>> million items.. mostly old news papers (scanned) images and videos. I am
>>> considering using dspace for this project for my institution. Does dspace
>>> have the capacity to take over 20 million items (all things equal) what
>>> database and hardware configuration would be recommended for such a project.
>>>
>>> --
>>

>> --
>> Terry Brady
>> Applications Programmer Analyst
>> Georgetown University Library Information Technology
>> http://georgetown-university-libraries.github.io/
>> 425-298-5498 (Seattle, WA)
>>
>> --

> Bruno Nocera Zanette
> +55 41 9992-2508

Alan Orth
alan.o...@gmail.com
https://englishbulgaria.net
https://alaninkenya.org
https://mjanja.ch
"In heaven all the interesting people are missing." ―Friedrich Nietzsche
GPG public key ID: 0x8cb0d0acb5cd81ec209c6cdfbd1a0e09c2f836c0