Hi Don,

On 11/02/2016 01:54 AM, Donald Bynum wrote:
Thanks Andrea. What I am really looking for is a way to send an email to a logged on eperson when they download a bitstream. In other words the download event triggers the email.

You'd probably need to write code for a custom usage stats listener, like the one used to send information about bitstream downloads to Google Analytics. https://github.com/DSpace/DSpace/blob/dspace-5_x/dspace-api/src/main/java/org/dspace/google/GoogleRecorderEventListener.java which is activated (alongside the Solr usage stats listener) here: https://github.com/DSpace/DSpace/blob/dspace-5_x/dspace-xmlui/src/main/webapp/WEB-INF/spring/applicationContext.xml#L55 (both links go to the 5.x code base).

However, I'd actually caution against such an approach, especially if your repository is open to the public. Do your users really want to be spammed every time a random search engine bot / other automated script downloads their file? We sometimes have hundreds of downloads of the same file on the same day. A daily/weekly/monthly approach sounds like a much better user experience to me, unless you're in a very constrained environment where you can be sure that all downloads are genuine / you are sure you can filter out all the spammy ones.

cheers,
Andrea

--
Dr Andrea Schweer
Lead Software Developer, ITS Information Systems