Hello,

I was just checking our repository's status in the Google search index
and noticed that it is indexing bitstreams on both /bitstream and
/rest URLs, ie:

- https://repository.com/bitstream/10568/24495/1/24495.pdf
- https://repository.com/rest/bitstreams/91059/retrieve

This seems like a waste of resources — Googlebot crawls with over
fifty concurrent connections — but also like it would cause a
duplicate content problem as far as search engine optimization where
you are essentially competing with yourself for the top hit for a
certain keyword on the search results.

Has anyone else thought about this? I am thinking of
forbidding/discouraging bots from indexing /rest, either by HTTP 403
or by robots.txt or the "X-Robots-Tag: none" HTTP header.

Cheers,

--
Alan Orth
alan.o...@gmail.com