Hi Scott,

I'm pretty sure that the UI hints don't reflect what is stored in the database.

You should check the metadatavalue table, I expect that the confidence column
is -1 (not used) for the values in the first screenshot as they don't have an
authority and it should have some different value for the second screenshot.

In the ideal case you should see a 600 value for the second screenshot, this
mean that the association between Bray, George and the authority entry has been
done by an user in an interactive process (submission, edit item, etc.) versus
an automatic association during batch ingest or other automated task.

The x in the UI in the second screen should allow you to clean the authority
value to "detach" the item from the linked authority entry.

There are some explanation of the confidence value in the javadoc here:

https://github.com/DSpace/DSpace/blob/master/dspace-api/src/main/java/org/dspace/content/authority/Choices.java#L26

and in the original documentation of the authority framework

https://wiki.duraspace.org/display/DSPACE/Authority+Control+of+Metadata+Values#AuthorityControlofMetadataValues-Confidence

Hope this move you a bit forward in the understanding of the authority
framework.

Andrea