Hi,

I have configured Apache with ssl using a self-signed certificate, and then
generated a client certificate from the server certificate.  With
SSLVerifyClient set to 'require', I can get to Dspace only from a browser
with the client certificate installed.  So it works!

But getting Dspace to recognize the certificate is my problem. When I try
to login with the certificate, at https://myserver/jspui/certificate-login,
I get the message: 'You do not seem to have a valid Web certificate.'   I
am running Apache 2.4.18, Apache Tomcat/8.5.15, and Dspace 6.1 on Ubuntu
16.04.

In my apache conf, I have SSLOptions StdEnvVars ExportCertData.

I loaded my client.crt certificate into the tomcat keystore, following the
directions in https://wiki.duraspace.org/display/DSDOC6x/Installing+DSpace:

Optional – ONLY if you need to accept client certificates for the X.509
certificate stackable authentication module See the configuration section
for instructions on enabling the X.509 authentication method. Load the
keystore with the CA (certifying authority) certificates for the
authorities of any clients whose certificates you wish to accept. For
example, assuming the client CA certificate is in *client1.pem*:

$JAVA_HOME/bin/keytool -import -noprompt -storepass changeit
    -trustcacerts -keystore $CATALINA_BASE/conf/keystore  -alias client1
    -file client1.pem

I have set authentication.cfg so it includes X509 authentication:

plugin.sequence.org.dspace.authenticate.AuthenticationMethod =
org.dspace.authenticate.PasswordAuthentication,org.dspace.authenticate.X509Authentication

I have set authentication-x509.cfg to include the keystore and password:

authentication-x509.keystore.path = /opt/tomcat/conf/keystore
authentication-x509.keystore.password = changeit

What am I missing?

Thanks,
Paul