I found the problem.  It was bug DS-2164
<https://jira.duraspace.org/browse/DS-2164>.
I am not sure why this was not applied when I upgraded.  I simply ran the
following code, and it fixed the issue.

insert into metadatavalue (
  resource_id,
  resource_type_id,
  metadata_field_id,
  text_value,
  text_lang,
  place)
select
  eperson_id as resource_id,
  7 as resource_type_id,
  (select
    metadata_field_id
  from metadatafieldregistry
  where
    metadata_schema_id = (select
      metadata_schema_id
    from metadataschemaregistry
    where
      short_id = 'eperson') and element = 'email' and qualifier is null) as
metadata_field_id,
  email as text_value,
  null as text_lang,
  0 as place