You might want to consider moving the pool out of DSpace's control into the
Servlet container -- see "Notes on PostgreSQL connection pooling with a
Tomcat JNDI resource" by Alan Orth elsewhere in this group.  It would give
you access to more of the pool's parameters (for testing connections before
use, and the like) and also make it easy to use a newer driver.  I've had
better luck with this arrangement.

I believe that db.statementpool affects pooling of prepared statements
only.  Unless you've adjusted PostgreSQL, the default on its end is to do
no statement pooling regardless of what the client requests.  Like most
DBMS-centric webapp.s, DSpace can't operate without a connection pool.