We are trying to integrate Elsevier's PURE with the DSpace 5 REST API and
having no luck so far.

One impediment is that the error codes for the REST API are nearly
useless.  HTTP codes are being used and are used in inappropriate ways.
For instance, all unsuccessful login attempts return a 403 Forbidden, which
is not what 403 means.  The correct code is 401 Unauthorized.

We are currently getting a 500 Internal Server Error, and I see from the
Java code that there are a number different conditions that can throw this
error.

Is there some way I can see exactly what's going wrong so I don't have to
keep guessing what to try next?