The code line where this fails is

public Item installItem(Context c, InProgressSubmission is,
        String suppliedHandle) throws SQLException,
        AuthorizeException
{
    Item item = is.getItem();
    Collection collection = is.getCollection();
    try {
        if(suppliedHandle == null)
        {
            identifierService.register(c, item);
        }else{
            identifierService.register(c, item, suppliedHandle);
        }
    } catch (IdentifierException e) {
        throw new RuntimeException("Can't create an Identifier!", e);
    }

Since the item comes from another instance it already has a handle, which the
code reads from the ‘handle’ file.

Are you using the same handler service in the old and new instance ?
Is the DNS name of the new instance different from the old ?
I am not sure how the different IdentifierProvider Implementations deal with
re-registering existing identifiers

Monika

--
Monika Mevenkamp