Dear list,

We have started looking at our use of metadata across our repositories and
I have to say that it is very confusing! First some background as I
understand it, then the current state of affairs in DSpace 4/5/6, and then
my question(s). :)

Dublin Core is the original specification of fifteen elements from 1995[0].
It was amended in 2000 to add element qualifiers like "dc.date.issued" as
well as a few new elements[1]. These were both superseded in 2008 with the
introduction of the Dublin Core Terms (aka DCTERMS) specification[2], which
essentially combines both of them.

By default DSpace makes heavy use of both simple and qualified Dublin Core
in its input forms, but also provides crosswalks to translate many of these
to DCTERMS that are then exposed as metadata in the XMLUI[3][4]. It is very
easy to change the input forms to use different fields and even custom
namespaces, though some core fields seem to be dangerous (like dc.date.*
and dc.contributor.author).

Our repository is consumed ravenously by search engines, but also by
increasingly many harvesters via REST and OAI APIs. If we want to make sure
that the metadata these harvesters receive is also standards compliant and
interoperable, shouldn't we update our input-forms and existing item
metadata to take some of the crosswalks into mind? For example: to start
using dc.language or dcterms.language instead of dc.language.iso (I would
of course update the crosswalks accordingly). Does any of this change in
DSpace 7? Is there any talk of moving away from a flat schema so that
authors and institutions could be related, for example?

I look forward to your comments. Thank you.

[0] https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dublin_Core
[1] http://dublincore.org/documents/2000/07/11/dcmes-qualifiers/
[2] http://www.dublincore.org/documents/dcmi-terms/
[3]