I found this post:

https://stackoverflow.com/questions/4212861/what-is-a-correct-mime-type-for-docx-pptx-etc

And there is something in here that says I can do this:

System.setProperty("content.types.user.table","<path-to-file>");

So that in when this line of code is executed:

https://github.com/DSpace/DSpace/blob/master/dspace-rest/src/main/java/org/dspace/rest/BitstreamResource.java#L716

I will get the right mime type ( that's my hope ), so I changed my code to
look like this:

System.setProperty("content.types.user.table","path_to_mimetype_file/mimetypes.txt");
        return URLConnection.guessContentTypeFromName(name);

But it does not seem to be working.  Perhaps I have to set the property
somewhere else? Any ideas?

Thank you!
-Jose