In the XML UI I can add additional browse indexes by adding search.index.n
and webui.browse.index.n fields, e.g., to add a 'level' index for a defined
field dc.description.level, I would add the following to dspace.cfg:

search.index.15 = level:dc.description.level
webui.browse.index.7 = level:metadata:dc.description.level:text

and add the appropriate description to messages.xml:

        <message
key="xmlui.ArtifactBrowser.ConfigurableBrowse.level.column_heading">Qualification
Level</message>
        <message
key="xmlui.ArtifactBrowser.ConfigurableBrowse.title.metadata.level">Browsing
{0} by Qualification Level {1}</message>
        <message
key="xmlui.ArtifactBrowser.ConfigurableBrowse.trail.metadata.level">Browsing
{0} by Qualification level {1}</message>
        <message
key="xmlui.ArtifactBrowser.Navigation.browse_level">Qualification
Level</message>

Then, bin/dspace index-discovery -b -f

And the new items appear in the Browse list.

Similarly for the JSP UI, except I need to edit
dspace-api/src/main/resources/Messages.properties and rebuild the webapp:

browse.menu.level = Qualification Level
browse.type.metadata.level = Qualification Level

According to
https://wiki.duraspace.org/pages/viewpage.action?pageId=78153687 , it looks
like I should follow a similar process for DSpace-CRIS:

  webui.browse.index.<n> = <index-name>:<display-type>:<sort-name>[:DESC]

should create the indexes, but I can't find any way to display or use them.
I have added the fields to Messages.properties and reindexed. I expected
the new items to appear in the 'Discover' box, but that remains unchanged.

I would like to add items to the navbar, but that's starting to seem like a
distant dream.

What am I doing wrong?

DSpace version:  CRIS-5.10.0-SNAPSHOT
     Discovery:  enabled.
           JRE:  Private Build version 1.8.0_222
   Ant version:  Apache Ant(TM) version 1.9.6 compiled on July 20 2018
 Maven version:  3.3.9