On Wed, Aug 10, 2022 at 07:13:32AM -0500, 'Bill Tantzen' via DSpace Technical
Support wrote:
> Right, and I really don't want markup in a txt file...

Well, we could devise a really *simple* language.  It could be as
simple as:

o  leading whitespace means indent;

o  one or more consecutive empty lines means a paragraph break.

But, to fit into a page that must be pourable into a viewport of any
width, the text must be *rendered*, not just flung out as-is.

Right now I think we're getting what happens when you stick arbitrary
character content with no markup inside a <div>.  It works, but we
lose too much structure.

You could work around this a bit by altering the page template so that
the license text is surrounded by <pre></pre>, but that will only work
well at one size because it depends on the text being already
formatted to fit the screen's width.

There are similar difficulties with abstracts and the like, for which
there is an issue on file.  I don't think that the same solution will
work for all of these.  I just point out a general problem.

--
Mark H. Wood
Lead Technology Analyst

University Library