On Mon, Aug 22, 2022 at 08:18:43PM -0700, Night Librarian wrote:
> I have a tiny question. I want to run the installation as a tomcat user,
> instead of dspace, as described in this conversation. Howerver, when I try
> to run on Ubuntu 20.4:
>
> sudo su - tomcat
>
> I get:
>
> "This account is currently not available."
>

> Do I need to be a superuser to run mvn and ant?  And if not, can I switch
> to just "tomcat" user like this?
>
> su tomcat
>
> Because when I try, I am prompted for password, which I don't have,
> probably because I didn't create a "tomcat" account manually, so I end up
> with:
>
> su: Authentication failure
>
> How can I run install as a tomcat user?

"This account is currently not available." -- you'll probably find
that the user 'tomcat' has '/sbin/nologin' for its shell.  That's
where this message comes from.  You can override that by specifying
the shell to use:

  sudo su - tomcat -s /bin/sh

You'll probably find that the encrypted password for 'tomcat' is "!"
which means "don't accept *any* password".  So you need 'sudo' or
being superuser to 'su' to 'tomcat'.  The account effectively has a
password that can never be known or guessed, because nothing will ever
encrypt to "!".

--
Mark H. Wood
Lead Technology Analyst