A little further info here -- I should add that the items are being
submitted to collections without a workflow.  This seems to be where
'Submitted by' is added to the provenance text (based on the firstStep
variable).  Do items need to go through a workflow to have this text
added?  Possibly related to https://github.com/DSpace/DSpace/issues/7667 ?
~~Bill