Tim,

Thanks for the response. My apologies, though, because it turns out I was
getting confused by some custom configuration that we had that made it look
like impersonation wasn't working.

As far as I can tell, special groups and impersonation are working properly
in the stock DSpace 7.4 build.

Apologies again,

David