This might be CORS related.  I've been doing frontend theme development on
my local workstation, with the backend running on our remote dev server.
Because "localhost" doesn't match the hostname of the backend server in
this configuration, it triggers CORS issues and all I see on the frontend
is a 500 error.

To fix this I had to adjust rest.cors.allowed-origins in local.cfg on the
backend server like this:

rest.cors.allowed-origins = ${dspace.ui.url}, http://localhost:4000

That allowed both the prod built frontend on the remote server and the dev
mode on my local machine to work.  So I'd recommend checking the browser to
see if CORS errors might be the reason you're seeing that 500.

- Darryl