Hi,

I think the issue you may be having is that the REST API *must be
accessible* to all users of DSpace.  If the REST API host is "localhost"
that means it's only available on localhost.  It won't be accessible to
users coming from any other machine.

It's important the realize that the User Interface always runs in the
users' browser.  So, every user's browse *MUST* be able to communicate with
the REST API.  This is why we recommend that the REST API always be on a
"publicly access", HTTPS URL in the installation guide (see step 17):
https://wiki.lyrasis.org/display/DSDOC7x/Installing+DSpace#InstallingDSpace-BackendInstallation

Tim