I suspect the documentation for Registering Bitstreams
<https://wiki.lyrasis.org/display/DSDOC7x/Registering+Bitstreams+via+Simple+Archive+Format>

is outdated, specifically the part about SRB:

"To register an item its bitstreams must reside on storage accessible to
DSpace and therefore referenced by an asset store number in *dspace.cfg*.
The configuration file *dspace.cfg* establishes one or more asset stores
through the use of an integer asset store number. This number relates to a
directory in the DSpace host's file system *or a set of SRB account
parameters*."

I'm not seeing any other references to remote storage or SRB account keys
in the documentation or the config files, except for S3 buckets (which is
exciting and well-documented, I might add!).

Is it possible to register bitstreams that are stored in a remote location
other than the S3 buckets configurable in assetstore.cfg & bitstore.xml?

Or must all registered bitstreams reside in either the local filesystem or
an S3 bucket?

My use case would be for very large datasets that already reside elsewhere,
as a way to bring their metadata into DSpace and simply link to the
existing (non-AWS) location rather than having to move the large files.

Thank you for any clarity you can provide!

~Amy