Hi Brian,

Not sure if you've had any responses to this, so I'll chip in with our
experiences . . .

When we originally set up our eTheses repository it was done on DSpace
v1.2.1 with the TAPIR plug-in (v0.3 I think) - we were only using the
system to enable students to deposit final versions of their theses
(i.e. we weren't using the supervisor workspaces etc).

Last year we upgraded to v1.3.2 - the TAPIR plug-in wasn't compatible
with this DSpace version at the time (don't know if that is still the
case), but we were able to replicate everything we wanted to do (pretty
much) with DSpace "out of the box" - the main thing was being able to
set up custom submission forms for our eTheses collections using the
"input-forms.xml" mechanism.

Don't know if that helps, but happy to attempt to answer any specific
questions you may have.

Regards,

Mike
Michael White