On Fri, 2007-03-09 at 11:01 +0000, Richard Jones wrote:
> Tomcat has always, IMO, been mildly unstable, and we've been having some
> problems recently that have encouraged me to look at other containers.

Any specific issues that you can / care to share?

> It was alleged on some site or other (i.e. I googled
> for 5 minutes, and that was what I found - not a scientific approach)
> that Tomcat and Resin are the fastest of the containers (which is a
> significant criteria).

Similar research that I've conducted hasn't been quite so favourable for
Tomcat. Then again, it may also depend on what criteria you are using -
vanilla Tomcat doesn't tend to scale to well with multiple connections.
In such cases, you want to look at something that either has NIO (Jetty,
Grizzly - the refitted Tomcat that is part of Glassfish), or use the APR
with Tomcat (but then if you are having issues with Tomcat, I can't see
that they are going to be helped much by including native code!)

>   Any other experiences that people have had, with
> Jetty or other, or any negative experiences with Resin would be greatly
> appreciated.

I've tried using Jetty for some of our projects, but not really DSpace
(/ Open Repository). Unfortunately, our own in-house code has a few
dependencies on the way that we have configured Tomcat, that makes Jetty
a bit of a challenge (actually, even upgrading to Tomcat 6 looks like it
would be a challenge given the changes that have been made).

I have tried an OOTB installation of DSpace on Jetty, and that worked
without any problems. Plus the documentation looks to be pretty good,
and the configuration fairly easy - so it's definitely worth taking a
look at Jetty.

This email has been scanned by Postini.
For more information please visit http://www.postini.com