Is ICU4J a requirement still if we switch to Java 5? In which case
I'd push this off to DSpace1.5 (which will require Java 5 or
greater). And if so, it should probably be the case that we explore
its implementation in the XMLUI if any at all changes are needed.

-Mark

On Apr 4, 2007, at 4:53 AM, Graham Triggs wrote:

> I wasn't going to push this patch earlier as it rather evolved into a
> feature enhancement - but thinking about it again, for anyone that has
> non-English content/authors in their repository, it's actually a
> useful
> bug fix:
>
> [ 1672065 ] Configurable sort order generation for browse
> http://sourceforge.net/tracker/index.php?
> func=detail&aid=1672065&group_id=19984&atid=319984
>
> If you look at the example Shawna has (it's either on this page, or
> the
> next):
> https://dspace.ucalgary.ca/browse-author?top=Austad%2C+Michele+L
>
> The author Žekulin appears in the middle of the list of authors
> beginning with 'A'. It may not be possible to define a single correct
> ordering, but in this case the existing behaviour just doesn't work
> for
> anyone.
>
> Amongst it's other capabilities, the above patch deals with this
> scenario, and lets people customise the ordering further if they
> choose.
>
> Whilst it allows for configuration, it does not require any
> configuration changes (closely emulating the existing DSpace
> behaviour -
> except for the addition of the character decomposition for the above
> case). It also doesn't change any existing APIs, or the database
> schema.
>
> The single biggest argument against it's inclusion would be that it
> adds
> an additional dependency: ICU4J. Unfortunate, but required for
> compatibility with earlier JDK releases, without resorting to
> undocumented Sun classes.
>
> The choice, as they say, is yours... ;-)

> Graham Triggs
> Technical Architect
> Open Repository
>
> Tel:   +44 (0)20 7631 9942
> Skype: grahamtriggs
>
> On Mon, 2007-04-02 at 10:19 +0100, James Rutherford wrote:
>> Hi All,
>>
>> I'm pleased to announce that work has started on putting together
>> DSpace
>> 1.4.2. We're aiming to get a beta release out around the 23rd,
>> with the
>> final release available shortly after (hopefully by the end of the
>> month). This will be pretty much exclusively a bugfix release; there
>> will be no API, configuration, or database schema changes, so
>> upgrading
>> from 1.4 or 1.4.1 should be relatively painless. If anyone is
>> sitting on
>> patches that they think would be suitable for inclusion, please
>> upload
>> them to SourceForge by the end of the week.
>>
>> See http://wiki.dspace.org/index.php/RoadMap#Version_1.4.2 for more
>> information.
>>
>> cheers,
>>
>> Jim

> ---
> share your
> [...]

Mark R. Diggory - DSpace Systems Manager
MIT Libraries, Systems and Technology Services
Massachusetts Institute of Technology
Office: E25-131
Phone: (617) 253-1096