Hello all,
Lafayette College is in the planning stages for a DSpace repository.
While our planning team (which includes a few faculty members) is
interested in providing public access to undergraduate honors theses,
some other faculty members have expressed concerns.  In looking at
permission forms used by other institutions, I see that students are
often given a choice of the level of access they desire: world,
on-campus, or none.

This, for me, raises questions about the granularity of
authentication.  I had thought that authentication was controlled at
the collection level, but now I wonder if it can be controlled at the
item level.  So far, I have only installed an open system with no
authentication, so I'm in uncharted water.

My questions:  Is it possible to have a single collection that
provides open access to certain documents, and IP or LDAP restricted
access to others?  If this level of granularity is possible, is it
difficult to implement?  Do others have advice for dealing with these
issues (either politically, and technically)?

Thanks for whatever help you can provide.

Eric Luhrs
Digital Initiatives Librarian
Lafayette College