-----Original Message-----
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
[mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf Of Tony
Kyne
Sent: Tuesday, 8 May 2007 9:44 AM
To: susan rector
Cc: dspace-tech@lists.sourceforge.net; George Kozak
Subject: Re: [Dspace-tech] help with import - bitstream error

Susan and others

   We had that problem with an 11,000+ upload. Drove us spare - we even
thought the
there was a hardware problem given the random nature of the problem: it
bombs out
with no such file error, but immediately on restart it works.  Even
tried different
version of Java, operating system patches etc,etc

   However, we ultimately worked it out what the problem was.  From what
we can gather,
the bitstream identifier created has some random aspect to it.  The lead
numbers of
this identifier give the start of the directory path in the assetstore
to store the
images etc.  And so if you upload a file on two separate occassions, you
get
different magic numbers and hence different directory paths into the
assetstore.  So
the problem is directory paths.  And if you have the same problem as we
had,  bits of
the some of the directory paths existed before the current upload, and
thay had
owenerships and permissions that the owner of the current upload process
did not have
access to:  the "No such file..." error, is really saying "Permissions
for the
required directory access not valid ...." [ or from our scouring the
web, it is the
Java catch all error message for any sort of possible file access
problems]

   So look at the ownership and permissions of the various bits of your
assetstore.  In
our case, the problem was a few test examples we did way back at the
start of setting
up and testing Dspace, and these were out of sync with our current
development
environment ownership/permission regime.

susan rector wrote:
> Thanks George,
> I just got them all in the system (467). It seemed to bomb out when
the
> directory had a lot of images or .mov files. I think for our
production
> version, I'm going to just import by year from etd-db so that I can
> avoid the continuous restart of of the program
>
> thanks again,
> Susan
>
> George Kozak wrote:
>> Susan:
>>
>> I have run into this problem running big batches.  Every so often,
the
>> batch importer comes up with the error (at least for me).  If I then
>> batch upload with smaller groups of items (without making other
>> changes) everything runs fine.
>>
>> At 11:38 AM 5/7/2007, susan rector wrote:
>>> Hi all,
>>> I fixed the last error with the ^M - thanks for all your help
>>>
>>> Now, I'm running into another strange import error. I run the dspace
>>> importer in test mode and it works fine and imports 466 distinct
>>> directories with metadata and files.
>>> Test mode: /dspace/bin/dsrun org.dspace.app.itemimport.ItemImport
--test
>>> --add [EMAIL PROTECTED] --collection=5
>>> --source=/usr/local/archive_directory --mapfile mapfile.txt
>>>
>>> When I run the same command just not in test mode, I get the
following
>>> error stating that the contents file isn't there. In fact, it is
there
>>> and has a listing of the files in that directory
>>> Add: /dspace/bin/dsrun org.dspace.app.itemimport.ItemImport --add
>>> [EMAIL PROTECTED] --collection=5
>>> --source=/usr/local/archive_directory --mapfile mapfile.txt
>>>
>>> I've changed all the file permissions thinking that might be it -
didn't
>>> work. It seems to get stuck on the jpeg's.
>>>
>>> Thanks for any suggestions!
>>> Susan Rector
>>> [EMAIL PROTECTED]
>>>

>>> Error:
>>>  Processing contents file:
>>> /usr/local/archive_directory/etd-05152006-125030/contents
>>>         Bitstream: benitezjm_image06.jpg
>>>         Bitstream: benitezjm_thesis.pdf
>>>         Bitstream: benitezjm_image04.jpg
>>>         Bitstream: benitezjm_image02.jpg
>>> java.io.IOException: No such file or directory
>>>         at java.io.UnixFileSystem.createFileExclusively(Native
Method)
>>>         at java.io.File.createNewFile(File.java:883)
>>>         at
>>> edu.sdsc.grid.io.local.LocalFile.createNewFile(LocalFile.java:486)
>>>         at

org.dspace.storage.bitstore.BitstreamStorageManager.store(BitstreamStora
geManager.java:332)

>>>         at org.dspace.content.Bitstream.create(Bitstream.java:184)
>>>         at
org.dspace.content.Bundle.createBitstream(Bundle.java:362)
>>>         at

org.dspace.app.itemimport.ItemImport.processContentFileEntry(ItemImport.
java:1103)

>>>         at

org.dspace.app.itemimport.ItemImport.processContentsFile(ItemImport.java
:1030)

>>>         at
>>> org.dspace.app.itemimport.ItemImport.addItem(ItemImport.java:631)
>>>         at
>>> org.dspace.app.itemimport.ItemImport.addItems(ItemImport.java:498)
>>>         at
>>> org.dspace.app.itemimport.ItemImport.main(ItemImport.java:407)
>>> java.io.IOException: No such file or directory
>>>

>>> Contents file:
>>> benitezjm_image06.jpg
>>> benitezjm_thesis.pdf
>>> benitezjm_image04.jpg
>>> benitezjm_image02.jpg
>>> benitezjm_image05.jpg
>>> benitezjm_image01.jpg
>>> benitezjm_image03.jpg

>> ***************************
>> George Kozak
>> Coordinator
>> Web Development and Management
>> Digital Media Group
>> 501 Olin Library
>> Cornell University
>> 607-255-8924

regards, Tony

===
Dr. Tony Kyne, Head, Information Technology Services,
               The Walter and Eliza Hall Institute of Medical Research,
               1G Royal Parade, Parkville, Victoria, 3050, Australia.
Phone: International +61-3-9345-2586   FAX: International
+61-3-9347-0852
            National 03-9345-2586                    National
03-9347-0852
Email:  [EMAIL PROTECTED]