Hello DSpace Community,

We have reached a very interesting point in our software's history
where we have really outgrown our current development practices and
find it neccessary to expand how the DSpace Source Code Management
system is used.  To attain the goals that have been outlined in the
Architectural Review last fall we have passed into a phase where the
"Trunk" of the DSpace SCM needs to be devoted to more dramatic and
aggressive development. Last fall, at the Architectural  Review, it
was determined that we had to find a solution that will allow for
more independent and controlled extension of DSpace. This solution
was coined the "Addon Mechanism" and several prototypes evolved to
explore various implementation solutions.

This is an important notice to alert the community that the
Subversion "trunk" has changed to adapt a new source-code
organization and build system, this new build system is presently
incompatible with the older ant based DSpace build mechanism.

If you have been using the DSpace subversion trunk (http://
dspace.svn.sourceforge.net/svnroot/dspace/trunk/) to handle merging
your production maintenance against. We highly recommend that you use
the current stable maintenance branch instead, it is located at:
http://dspace.svn.sourceforge.net/svnroot/dspace/branches/
dspace-1_4_x  The 1_4_x maintenance branch will be kept compatible
with the existing 1.4.x build process and is the best solution for
present production needs.  It will always be guaranteed to be
reasonably backward compatible with any customization you may have in
the 1.4 track.

Meanwhile, in the trunk, we are now solidifying the new build system.
We expect that this may change unpredictably as we seek out the best
possible solutions for the new AddOn mechanism and welcome both the
Manakin and LNI codebases under the umbrella of the new DSpace
Foundation.  You can look forward to the 1.5 release of DSpace to
have many new features. It will provide a dynamic and versatile
mechanism for including your institutions branding and customized
extensions.

Please do forward this email onto your development and DSpace support
staff and/or cross post to any other dspace list-services, forums or
user groups, including a translation if possible for any
international lists.

thank you,
Mark Diggory
DSpace Commiters Group