  From: Jennifer Ash
  To: dspace-tech@lists.sourceforge.net
  Sent: Wednesday, July 04, 2007 6:55 AM
  Subject: [Dspace-tech] Searching PDF-scanned documents: Adobe Capture
asolution?

  Dear Community Members

  The Water Research Commission (WRC, South Africa) is currently assessing a
pilot installation of DSpace.

  We want to use DSpace to store, search and retrieve all our WRC research
reports and Water SA (a scientific publication, 4 issues pa) issues (this is
the primary goal; other collections will most likely be added over time).

  We are faced with a problem in that most of our older publications are not in
electronic format and will have to be scanned.

  Scanning and saving as PDF does not provide a full text searchable document
in DSpace; I've tried it.

  A product, Adobe Capture, is advertised as a 'tool that teams with your
scanner to convert volumes of paper documents into searchable Adobe Portable
Document Format (PDF) files'.

  We are keen to investigate this product but there are no trial downloads
offered by Adobe.

  Do you have any knowledge of this product? Can you advise on a suitable
tehnology solution for our problem? Our backlog is vast and spans many years,
so there are loads of documents that need to be scanned.

  I do hope someone can give me advice.

  Kind regards

  Jennifer Ash
  Business Systems Manager
  Water Research Commission
  Private Bag X03
  GEZINA (Pretoria)
  0031
  Tel: (012) 330-9036 / 330-0340
  Fax: (012) 330-9010 / 331-2565
  E-mail: [EMAIL PROTECTED]

  DISCLAIMER AND CONFIDENTIALITY NOTE: All factual and other information within
this e-mail, including any attachments relating to the official business of the
Water Research Commission (WRC), is the property of the WRC. It is
confidential, legally privileged and protected against unauthorized use. The
WRC neither owns nor endorses any other content. Views and opinions are those
of the senders unless clearly stated as being that of the WRC. The addressee in
the e-mail is the intended recipient. Please notify the sender immediately if
it has unintentionally reached you and do not read, disclose or use the content
in any way whatsoever. The WRC cannot assure that the integrity of this
communication has been maintained nor that it is free of errors, viruses,
interception or interferences.

  http://sourceforge.net/powerbar/db2/