Greetings,

Our metadata advisors would like to split up the values for dc.type so that
dc.type lists dcmi recommended types and dc.description.subtype holds values
such as article, preprint, and book.  Is this asking for trouble?

I found an unintended consequence in the statistics report, which can only
report dc.type values.  With this change, items that are articles, preprints,
etc. would no longer be listed.

I believe (NOT a programmer here) the use of dc.type is defined in
/dspace-source/src/org/dspace/app/statistics/LogAnalyzer.java in these areas:

(1)    /** list of item types to be reported on in the current state */
private static List itemTypes = new ArrayList();

(2)  // read the config values into our instance variables (see
      // documentation for more info on config params)

     if (key.equals("item.type"))
        {
          itemTypes.add(value);
        }

Could I change this java file to evaluate dc.description.subtype instead of
dc.type?

Are there other reasons NOT to make this kind of change?  Such as the
statistics module is being re-written, potential upgrade problems, or other
functions in DSpace that expects values such as book and article to be in
dc.type?

Version: 1.4.1

Thank you,
Sunny Pai