Hi !

At PoisonCentre.be, we use DSpace for scientific (medical) information collection, organisation and internal re-publication, e.g. Knowledge sharing (not ETDs)!

I find rather funny that this discussion occurs in the technical thread and not the general one.
The technicities are the reasons we meet, the subjects vary!

I share most of Dorothea opinions.

I strongly support the creation of a DSpace group for user needs assesment.
The output of this group should be:
1) use cases,
2) value of thoses use cases for the institutions we represent,
3) essential "user side" characteristics of the corresponding functionalities those uses cases imply.

From there:
1) a "designer board" could propose functionalities (no buzzwords!) to fulfill those needs. 2) developpers would be invited to find "mentors" within the users groups and to produce a prototype. 3) User group would then discuss prototypes results and would choose those that must be worked further for inclusion in DSpace trunk. 4) Committers would work on "mature prototypes" (user proof) to make them 100% compliant to DSpace architecture and coding standards.

IMHO, this process should be tightly driven by the Foundation and financed by institutions taking advantage of DSpace know how, technology and emulation.

It seems to me that project IDEALS is an example of this:
https://services.ideals.uiuc.edu/wiki/bin/view/IDEALS/RequirementsProduction

An example of the "users requirements" challenges we could achieve for DSpace:
http://www.vufind.org/
http://zoombox.gmu.edu/vufind/

For my institution, I need now to fulfill the challenge of crosslinking different DSpace instances (or collections) to have one serve as an authority list for some fields of others (and to use those relations in searches).

Have a nice day!

Christophe Dupriez
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
[EMAIL PROTECTED]