Looks like a permissions error on the file system. If you are running
tomcat under the tomcat user and your Importer under the dspace user
this is an issue that will arise.

I really haven't a "great" solution for this yet. I put the tomcat
user in the dspace group and set a sticky bit on the directories so
that they are group owned by dspace, but the init.d start script used
for tomcat on Linux usually forces a specific umask on the tomcat
server so that you can't assure that new files are group writable.
Ultimately leading me to need a cron script that periodically
rewrites the permissions in the assetstore.

An alternative strategy I've worked on today is to assign the dspace
and tomcat users the same uid and gid so that they have identical
user permissions.

Ultimately, this exposes a certain ugliness in the way that clients/
applications use a dspace instance. Rather than a service one
accesses to do tasks (which would operate in its own process with its
own permissions), instead we see that DSpace is simply a set of
libraries that can be executed on an assetstore/database pair... and
there are so many places that can get screwed up.

-Mark