Hello,

I have recently installed dspace 1.4.1 on Linux AS version 3 update 6
with Java 1.5.0, apache ant 1.7.0 and postgresql-8.2.3.

I have also made and verified required entries in dspace.cfg file
(handle prefix and handle server directory path).

To setup the Handle Server using simple setup Writing simple Handle
server configuration I run the following command:

./make-handle-config

I then get the following error:

Error setting up the server:

java.lang.NullPointerException

java.lang.NullPointerException

        at
net.handle.server.SimpleSetup.responseToPrompt(SimpleSetup.java:930)

        at
net.handle.server.SimpleSetup.getIPAddress(SimpleSetup.java:572)

        at net.handle.server.SimpleSetup.main(SimpleSetup.java:96)

./make-handle-config: line 90: /dspace/handle-server/config.dct: No such
file or directory

./make-handle-config: line 99: /tmp/handleconfig6179: No such file or
directory

The dspace/handle-server folder is empty and the dspace handle server
log has only this entry:

Error reading configuration: java.io.FileNotFoundException:
/dspace/handle-server/config.dct (No such file or directory)

>From older installations I think the handle-server folder is then
populated with numerous entries, one of which is the config.dct file so
I do not think this is really an issue

I may be wrong but I suspect that Java is not working as it should for
some reason and creating the config.dct file

Can anyone offer any input on the cause/solution to the error indicated
above?

Thanks,

Nigel Pegus

Main Library, Systems Unit