From: Bruc Liong [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Friday, December 14, 2007 5:31 AM
To: Nikolas Lam; Mohammad Ehtesham
Cc: dspace-tech@lists.sourceforge.net
Subject: RE: [Dspace-tech] External database authentication in dspace

Sorry being late to pick on this.

Shibboleth allows SSO to applications, hence once they've logged to
Moodle,
they can access dspace resources and despite being asked to login (in
fact
it's just a set of redirects, user never needs to login anymore), they
will
gain access to resources in dspace right away.

There is a patch for dspace to "shibbolize" it (search on patch section)

We've done much work on shibboleth and dspace, you can visit our demo as
follow:

0) go to http://openidp.federation.org.au and create an account for
yourself
(this is a free test IdP for shibboleth in our federation).make sure you
use
valid email address (we don't use your email address for anything, only
send you initial confirmation link of account creation)

1) go to http://sp-dspace1.mams.org.au/dspace14 (this is dspace1.4
deployed,
vanilla)

2) go to MySpace and choose Shibboleth login

3) choose "TestFed OpenIdP" and login with your account

4) there is an interface in this openIdP that ask whether you'd like to
release your info (click "yes", "release required attributes", "go to
service using this card"). This interface is one of the tool, Autograph,
we're offering as part of our federation to safeguard user's privacy.
Note
that if you play with releasing and denying attributes, make sure you do
*not* delete mail and principalname as this is needed for dspace.

5) you should arrive authenticated and your account is automatically
created
in dspace (there are options for this shibbolized dspace).

6) now navigate to http://sp-dspace2.mams.org.au (this one old dspace
1.3 ?)

7) click on MySpace again

8) if you may not notice, but you don't need to login again, but you're
still asked for releasing your attributes to confirm that you're happy
release your attributes, click "go to service"

9) you should be automatically signed on as well on that service. You
can
try to browse through documents there, but most documents have access
control restriction, hence your account may not be able to access them.

The above is sufficient to show how the SSO happening between dspaces.
If
you don't have Autograph installed, then your users will not see pages
on
steps 4 and 8.

Let me know if that helps and if you'd need further clarification.

Bruc

DISCLAIMER:"The information contained in this message and the attachments (if
any) may be privileged and confidential and protected from disclosure. You are
hereby notified that any unauthorized use, dissemination, distribution or
copying of this communication, review, retransmission, or taking of any action
based upon this information, by persons or entities other than the intended
recipient, is strictly prohibited. If you are not the intended recipient or an
employee or agent responsible for delivering this message, and have received
this communication in error, please notify us immediately by replying to the
message and kindly delete the original message, attachments, if any, and all
its copies from your computer system. Thank you for your cooperation."