The documentation on building dspace 1.5 beta should clearly say you
just use

mvn package

using "mvn package assembly:assembly" will cause the package to be
constructed twice and result in an error different than this.

This particular error is caused because your maven installation has
some core jars in it that were recently updated in the maven central
repository without incrementing their version id's (actually a very
bad practice in the Maven world so I'm suprised to see it in the core
maven libraries). Because its not all updating properly your getting
this error.  try using

mvn -U package (which will force and update of your local repository)

or if that does not work you may try removing the local repository
altogether and reinitializing it (its usually under ~/.m2/repository)

Cheers,
Mark Diggory