On Mon, Jun 2, 2008 at 3:58 PM, Thomas A McGee <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> What's the best methodology for archiving individual articles within an
> issue of a periodical?

I don't think there's one answer to this. Partly it depends on the
journal's production workflow and what they're willing to give you.
I'm not a big fan of archiving whole issues in a single item, but
sometimes that's how I get 'em. Such is life.

 We'd like to have the metadata be more closely tied
> to an individual author's work, as well as let users more easily find the
> section they need. But we'd also like to keep the articles tied together as
> part of a master entry which represents the entire issue.

We're looking at this where we are too. I suspect the way we're going
to go is to write a small Manakin Aspect that groups items based on
dumb string-matching in a specific Dublin Core field (probably
relation.ispartof). There's almost certainly a better way, but we
think this should be reasonably feasible and effective.

I don't have an ETA, but if you're interested, ping me in late July or
early August and ask if we have code yet.

Dorothea

--
Dorothea Salo [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Digital Repository Librarian AIM: mindsatuw